April 25, 2013

Veggie burgers with coleslaw (and my first food post ever!)

I asked on facebook whether you'd like me to post savory (food!) recipes every now and then. Most people answered "YES!", and I must say I was very relieved. This blog will ALWAYS be a baking blog, but you know, I eat food too. Everyday actually. So why not post about it? If you don't like me posting about food, you'll have to look away for a little while - or pretend that these are semlor, or something. They're almost the same.. hehe. Making hamburger buns was definitely a first for me. I must say I'm not sure these are the hamburger buns. The search continues. I think I want to make a somewhat lighter, more brioche-like bun. Smitten Kitchen-Deb seems to know a lot about hamburger buns, and this is her favorite recipe. Next time.






Hamburger buns 
makes 16
As I mentioned before, these are not the perfect hamburger buns but they are pretty darn good anyway.

50 g fresh yeast
50 g butter
250 ml (slightly more than 1 cup) water
250 ml (slightly more than 1 cup) milk
10-11 dl (approximately 4 1/4 - 4 1/2 cups) all purpose flour
1 tsp salt

1 egg
Sesame seeds

Crumble fresh yeast into a large bowl. Melt butter in a sauce pan, then add milk and water and heat to 37°C (99F). Pour a little of the luke warm mixture over the yeast. Stir until dissolved, then add the rest of the liquid. Add about four cups of the flour, using the dough hook (or your hands of course), and mix until dough comes together but is still a bit sticky. Cover bowl with a towel and let rise for 45 minutes.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Divide dough into 16 equal parts. Gently roll each into a ball and put on baking sheet (with lots of space in between). Cover with a towel and let rise for 30-40 minutes.
Preheat oven to 225°C (430F) with a rack in the center. Beat the egg and brush on top of buns. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for about 10-12 minutes.


Beet burgers 
Makes 6-8
 
400 g beetroot
200 g carrot
1 small red onion
100 g rolled oats
2 medium eggs
1 tsp salt
Pepper, to taste
Pinch of cayenne pepper
A few fresh oregano sprigs

Peel the beets and carrots, then grate them on the large holes of a box grater. Finely dice the red onion. Put beets, carrots and onion in a large bowl and stir in rolled oats. Let stand for 20 minutes, stirring every now and then. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Heat oven to 200°C (390F).
Divide the mixture into 6-8 equal portions and shape into patties. Coat the bottom of a wide skillet with oil and heat over high heat. Carefully add the burger patties. Cook until golden, 2-3 minutes on each side. Put burgers on a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake in oven for 15 minutes.

Coleslaw
2 1/2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
2 small carrots, coarsely grated
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
3 tbsp mayonnaise
3/4 cup creme fraiche
1-2 tsp honey mustard
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Put the sliced cabbage, grated carrots and sliced onion in a large bowl. Add mayonnaise, creme fraiche, mustard, salt and pepper.


Serve with:
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Onion
or whatever you prefer..

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Pin This

46 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I think it's great - I'm all for some savory recipes! Can we look forward to seeing more like this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, yes! And thank you Willow :-)

      Delete
    2. I could eat my computer !! These look Heavenly!!! And I am not even hungry right now!!!
      I can't wait to try this recipe!!!

      Please keep up the yummies.

      Delete
  2. Wow those look amazing!

    xo Jennifer

    http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look and sound delicious!

    wanderingsofalittlesoul.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to see savory recipes too! It'd be fun to see what your favorites are; and I'm frequently on the look out for fresh supper ideas for my family. I'd never thought of making homemade veggie burgers before...I may have to try that out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. I'd really love to see more of your photos of real food, and recipes of course :) The idea is great, I love making burgers at home. My all time favorite are made of quinoa, but I'm definitely gonna give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like many people make them with quinoa.. need to try that!

      Delete
  6. So happy you are posting savory recipes now! These look so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These burgers looks perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Victoria TrglavcnikApril 25, 2013 at 11:59 PM

    This may seem like a silly question.. but are the beets grated raw?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not silly at all! Yes, they are grated raw :-)

      Delete
  9. Haha! Well, I think your 'real food' is just as beautiful as your baked goods!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wooow! If you want to see my version with kamut flour it's here:


    http://www.deliziandovi.it/2013/04/hamburger-homemade-con-farina-di-kamut/

    Elisa, www.deliziandovi.it

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deelicious, could easily polish off a tray! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love love, You keep amazing me Linda.
    Yesterday I mentioned you on Kevin Sharkey's blog from Martha Stewart.
    Have a wonderful weekend xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You are amazing! You too. xo Linda

      Delete
  13. I make my homemade veggie burgers with quinoa chopped red onion a lil garlic powder and egg to bind out together...mmm yum o!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm, sounds good! Need to try that!

      Delete
  14. http://www.whatkatieate.com/recipes/mini-beef-and-pork-sliders-with-brioche-buns/ LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! Same background color!! And same motive!! I LOVE Katie's work and I've never kept it a secret that I'm incredibly inspired by everything she does, but seriously? Come on.

      Delete
  15. Does look amazing! Sure try them. The photos are always amazing, congratulations. Greetings 'spicy'

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look great! I will be doing some experimenting of my own on these, if you don't mind. Gonna see if I can play around and make them "Cali-style". Again, if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I don't mind! Go ahead :-)
      Let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  17. burgers look great, just wondered where the eggs fit into the recipe? assuming that they are mixed with mixture to bind? Definitely going to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks good. Will try them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your veggie burges!! Very good fotos I like them very much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your burgers sound delicious and your photography is simply stunning (as always). Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Whitney!

      Delete
    2. I am not a veggie eater but I would love to try to re create this one. Looking at the images makes me want to try it! :)

      Delete
  21. just discovered your blog and love it - i'm a huge veggie burger fan too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey, great blog, but I don’t understand how to add your site in my rss reader. Can you Help me please? Eat Pescetarian

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations!!!! for all recipes and photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This are so beautiful, your photography is so inspiring! Cant wait to see more savory food being posted :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment!